Push lawnmowers are often the most neglected tool at home because most people never check the oil or air filter. They just go out, start the mower and only bring it in for service or repairs once it stops running.
You can avoid many mishaps and keep your mower running in prime form by following these tips & tricks from the pros at Motosapien:
- Before use, check the oil, make sure it’s clean and not over or under filled.
- Check the air filter, make sure it’s clean and the motor can breathe properly.
- Always use fresh fuel, fuel goes off and makes the mower hard to start, as well as reducing its power.
- If you aren’t going to use the mower for a few months, drain the fuel.
- Always tip the mower with the carburetor facing up. If you tip the mower with the exhaust facing up the oil can leak into the carburetor and air, making it very difficult to start the mower.
- Tip the mower (air filter up) and check the condition of the blades. Make sure they're not damaged. There's generally 2 or 4 blades on push mowers.
- Clean your mower after every use. Leaving grass on top of the deck will accelerate rust. DO NOT USE WATER on a hot mower - use a blower or rag instead to clean off the deck.
- It’s advisable to change the oil, air filter and spark plug every year, doing so will save you having to buy a new mower sooner than expected!